Isn't it a beauty? This is a picture of the exact mixer I own. This kitchen appliance was at the top of my list when I registered for my wedding over 3 1/2 years ago because in my eyes it was the one thing every proper woman should own. And during my family shower when Kirk's Grandma Jean, bless her heart, graciously gave this to me, I was so overjoyed that I finally could call my kitchen complete! I also really didn't want to purchase one myself because they are outrageously expensive, and to be totally honest, I had no idea even back then what in the world I would use one for. But I knew I wanted one desperately and was so thankful when I received it as a gift.
Then I hauled it home, unpacked it, and there it sat. And sat. And sat. Eventually I put the fancy cover for it that Grandma Jean, bless her heart, had also purchased for me. (Did she know I wouldn't use it enough that I would need to cover it lest dust settle in? Hmmm...) I even stuck a few silk flowers in the pocket of this cover to make it less of an eyesore on my counter, but the only thing this Kitchen Aid ever did for me was collect dust. Every couple weeks or so :aka, not very often, I would pull the Kitchen Aid out from the wall, take the cover off, shake off the dust and then dust the entire machine, because even though it sat in it's lonely corner with a nice cover, it was so seldom used that the inside of it even collected dust, even with the cover on!!!
No need to ask why I even bothered dusting it if I wasn't going to use it....if you know me, you also know I am a bit OCD.
So fast-forward 3 1/2 years. As the 2 readers of my blog might have gathered, recently I've been cooking up a storm, trying new recipes and re-discovering my passion for whipping up something fabulous in the kitchen for my family. Last week I decided to re-arrange my entire kitchen so I could have a bit more usable counter space for such endeavors. In this process I decided to unleash my Kitchen Aid from it's sad corner spot to the corner where I do most of my "whipping up". I took the cover off, washed the cover (which ashamedly I had never done before), and proudly set it up in it's new home.
And today is the day I will conquer the Kitchen Aid. I'm about to go "whip up" a batch of Apple Craisin Walnut bread, and gosh darn it if I'm not going to use this mixer. I must overcome my fear. Many friends use their Kitchen Aid for absolutely everything and swear by it's awesomeness, but I've been telling myself that I like to mix things by hand. It's time to stop lying to myself. Who in their right mind likes! to mix things by hand??? I get enough of an exercise picking up my 33 lb munchkin, I don't need to exert more effort my mixing all my batters by hand when I have a perfectly wonderful Kitchen Aid to use. Today is the day. Wish me luck. My life is about to change forever!
And in the spirit of being Thankful, I have decided that after today, I will be very thankful for this machine!
Good luck! I love love love my KitchenAid Mixer:)
ReplyDeleteJenny if you ever need help using that mixer you let me know. I got one from Spencer the first Christmas we were married and probably use it at least once a week. I just used it on muffins on Monday in fact.
ReplyDeleteI love it!
You can do it Jenny! I am one of those people who uses mine all the time. My little hand mixer has never been used and I NEVER mix anything using just elbow grease!
ReplyDeleteVery interested to hear how your experience went! My mom had one & loved it and I used it at home. But I don't like to bake that many things that require such a mixture (not into the "bready" things of life) so I've survived just fine with my hand mixer for 12 years. :-) Still, hope you loved it! They are nice.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree! My mom wants to buy me one now that we have a bigger kitchen with more counter space, but all I can think is what on earth am I going to do with this monsterous thing! I hope you find all kinds of great uses for it!
ReplyDeleteI am in shock and can't wait to hear how it all turned out! Seriously, shocked! :)
ReplyDelete