Before Kirk and I really "met", we were introduced to each other my freshman year of college, spring of 2002, at a Gamma Phi Beta formal. He was the date of one of my friends. We hung out in a large group all night and really didn't get the chance to get to know each other and no sparks flew.
The time we actually "met" for the first time, another friend of mine who was friends with Kirk got invited to his Grandma Jean's annual 3rd of July party. My friend called and begged me to go with her so she didn't have to go alone. I had other plans but reluctantly agreed and we drove out to Ginger Cove late at night on July 3rd.
Immediately when we got there Kirk greeted us, then proceeded to tell me I needed to swim, so he threw me over his shoulder and ran off the end of the dock. I thought it was cute but I wasn't head over heels. My friend and I stayed out late that night and had lots of fun with the large mass of people there. Then we left and stayed at a nearby friend's home and in the morning we went back out to Ginger Cove to hang out with Kirk and one of his friends. The four of us had a blast all day, paddle-boating, swimming, eating and getting to know each other. At one point in the day I was sitting on a bench on the beach and Kirk's wallet was sitting there so I idly thumbed through it and noticed a daVinci's pizza coupon. I slyly asked Kirk if he liked daVinci's and he told me he hated it and it was the worst food on earth. I just smiled and said "okay!" but didn't tell him it was my family business. Later in the afternoon my friend and I got ready to head back to Lincoln for the Fourth of July festivities down there. As we were leaving Kirk asked me for my phone number so that he could "call me if he ever had another party". I didn't think anything of it.
The next day, Kirk called and profusely apologized for not knowing my parent's owned daVinci's. He was so embarrassed. After I assured him there was no harm done, he asked if I wanted to come up the next weekend. "Are you having another party?" I asked. "Um, nope. It'll just be you and me. Like a date." Then I knew, he liked me!! I didn't know what to think but I did know I wanted to get to know this hilarious handsome guy a little better. So I begged out of my shift at work and went up to Omaha for a date with Kirk. This was the beginning of our love story!
*Just to note, this is not from the 1st day we met. This is about 5 1/2 years and 10 lbs heavier than the day we met. This was our first Christmas as a married couple in 2007. Holy Smokes, I must have been doing some good cooking back then, we look like we're packing walnuts in our cheeks, haha!
No comments:
Post a Comment