Sunday, June 27, 2010

Ginger Cove-Our Happy Place!

Saturday, June 26th -first family day of the summer, and what a perfect day it was!


Max and Daddy working on the pontoon

Shalaika and I soaking up the sun



Mowing for G-Gma Jean with the help of Boris


Hanson Family 2010


Getting ready for his first jump off the dock!


Jumping off the dock for the first time in his life :)


Loving my little man


Pretty sure Max wears more clothes to swim than he does playing on dry land!


My $5 garage-sale find, SCORE!!

We had so much fun soaking up the rays at the lake all day, eating KFC with all the yummy sides for lunch, paddle boating, watching Shalaika enjoy her first real boat ride, and just enjoying each other! As we watched Max enjoy all the lake festivities, I reflected back on last year at the lake. Max was right at 6 months old and we would set up 2 different baby pools, get out all the plastic red cups we could find (these were his favorite toy), pad the old red wagon with towels for napping in the shade, and bring diaper bags and lake totes packed full of burp rags, diapers, wipes, extra set of clothes, infant sunblock, enough food for both the Army and the Navy, swimgear, etc. I'm surprised on these days we didn't have to rent a u-haul to get all our stuff out there! I remember taking Max on pontoon rides to lull him to sleep before we would head home for the night; G-Gma Jean holding an umbrella to keep the summer late-night sun off of Max on one side of my body, Gma Rhonda holding up towels to block unwanted stares from teenage jet-skiiers on the other side of my body, and myself, as I would cover Max up with my nursing cover and try not to sweat to death as I nursed him around the lake. Loved nursing but sure don't miss THAT experience :). I also remember the first time I lost my "mother of the year award" (my girlfriend Stef and I used to joke all the time about how many times we lost this imaginary award the first year of our children's lives) for seeing a wasp buzzing around our picnic table and running away screaming, leaving my 6 month old baby strapped in his infant carrier to be eaten alive by the black monsters. Oh the memories.
This year is so much different, with Max running around in his life jacket, all of us adults worrying about him falling into the lake, getting sunblock tan lines of little fingers pressed into our necks. Loved last year, love this year, can't to love next year, too!
Happy Summer!

3 comments:

  1. Ok, you look great in that suit, AND...I was just saying yesterday how much I loved nursing, even having to do it at a baseball stadium in the bathroom on a TOILET in 90* heat...because I wasn't savvy enough to do it in public yet. BUT, how much I enjoyed NOT having to do it ;) Babies growing up...so bittersweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic garage sale find!! And I also love your swimsuit. Sounds like your summer is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete